Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Picnic

Yesterday was the Volunteer appreciation picnic and the teachers worked so hard, they ended up getting put on the list as 2012 volunteers!  I'm not sure what that means, except that I was so tired yesterday that I could not hold my eyeballs open long enough to do an update. 

The picnic was really fun, and crazy-exhausting becasue I was trying to get every musher's autograph on my map of the Iditarod trail.  I ended up with about 35 autographs: 32 mushers, the race marshall, the official photographer, and one random stranger.  (Which is a very embarassing story.)  Everyone was incredibly nice and friendly.  Here are a few photos:

Erin and Rohn Buser

Nicolas Petit - one of my new favoritish mushers - hilarious and so friendly!
Newton Marshall - the first (and only) Jamaican musher, AND his sister's name is Monique!
Jon Baker
Lance Mackey and Me
Jeff King
Josh-the-teacher-from-Ohio and Kristi Barington
Scott Jansen (The Mushing Mortician) He's the one who's dog's heart stopped and he had to give mouth-to-snout and brought the dog back to life.
Dallas and his baby girl
Dick Mackey
Martin Buser
Passing the ceremonial sleeping bag from last years teacher on the trail to this years.
Jason Mackey signing a drop bag

DeeDee Jonroe and Me


 I have about a million more pictures - but these were some of my favorites.  It was a fun afternoon and here's the story about the random signature: 

My new friend Erin pointed out a guy and told me it was Dan Seavey.  (The old man on the trail last year...)  Now, I know what Dan Seavey looks like, and the guy that she was pointing to looked NOTHING like Dan Seavey.  But she pointed at him again and insisted and furthermore told me that she had just talked to him.  She said, "The guy in the hat!"  So even though I had serious concerns, I walked up to the guy in the hat, struck up a conversation, and asked him to sign my map.  He signed my map, and was bewildered and seemed mildly embarrassed for me.  I realized that there was a serious problem immediately, but didn't know what to do, so I boldly forged ahead getting an autograph from some totally random person.

3 comments:

  1. love the pictures and story- especially now y0u made someone feel either very famous or very awkward for a moment :) !!! great trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love the crotch shot of the lady lighting a smoke in the Martin Buser pic! Secondly, it is totally not my fault that you indeed DID NOT know who Dan Seavey was or what he looked like. Don't make me start telling your readers some crazy stories! LOL! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just read through your whole blog. It does sound like an amazing experience. All those wonderful dogs, how cool would it be to be able to keep so many dogs. Especially with the giant hamster wheel. Colin is in charge of walking our dog. I bet he'd be up for building one if those. Anyhow, I'd love to see more of your pictures and hear more about the trip.

    ReplyDelete