Monday, June 25, 2012

Dream a Dream Day 2

Running through water.  Deep water.
Remember yesterday when I said we went on a fast dog ride through the woods???  I lied.  I didn't mean to lie, I just didn't realize the true meaning of the word fast yesterday.  Today I experienced true, dangerous, no-messing-around dog mushing and am covered with bruises to prove it.
These dogs ARE NOT MESSING AROUND.  They mean BUSINESS.



Once all 14 were harnassed up, 5 of us went for the ride of our lives.  We were all bruised, one camera was lost when we plummeted over a steep hill and if flew straight up about 6 feet out of her pocket and everyone had a renewed passion for life when we made it back in one piece. 


The Sled
This is the crazy huge vehicle that the dogs were pulling.  It was hard to get a good picture of it because it flew by me very quickly.  There were only 14 dogs harnassed up today - in the Iditarod the teams start with 16 dogs, with a sled that weighs almost nothing!  I can't even imagine what that feels like!

Me and one of the meat puppies
The meat puppies (Burger, T-bone, Sirloin, Flank, Broil and Brisket) get walked every day and night.  They are unbearably cute little bundles of fuzz.



Pile'o'puppies


2 comments:

  1. Hi this is Angela, I was just wondering how things are doing in dream a dog dream kennel in Alaska? I think it must be cool to do the camp. The pictures look amazing and what you right sounds like its really really fun!the the picture of you holding the little puppy is so so so cute, do you know old the dog is? I hope you you have an amazing time!!!!!!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! I'm so happy to hear from you! Yes, camp is totally cool - the pups are 6 weeks old and I want to take one home! (but I can't...) I met Dallas Seavey tonite!!!!

      Delete